Josephine puttered through the door of her daughter’s house, widow’s black draped on frail shoulders tired of sorrow and empty platitudes. Her grand-kids played in blissful silence. She knew their grandfather sat in their minds as a stranger’s face, rarely seen and not to be mourned by innocence.
The phone rang and rang. She let it go in her desire to evade the well-meaning well-wishers that plagued her.
“Ma! Could you get that, please?” her daughter, Kelly, shouted.
She sighed and picked up the old-fashioned corded phone. “Hello?”
“Joey? It’s me. There was an accident, but I’m all right. I’ll see you soon, love.”
She gasped and dropped the phone. Kelly ran in at the clatter to see what happened. “Ma?”
Josephine looked at her with tears in eyes. “He always told me he’d let me know he was okay if anything happened.”
She buried her face in her daughter’s shoulder. “Whatever his faults, he kept his promises. Remember that.”
Word Count: 160
For Flash! Friday – Vol. 2 – 8. The prompt this week is the photo above. There is an extra element, called the Dragon’s Bidding, that needs to be incorporated into the story. This week’s Bidding:
Rules of the challenge:
* Word limit: 150 word story (10-word leeway) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (140 – 160 words, exclusive of title) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Sunday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Wednesday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
***Dragon’s Bidding (required element to incorporate somewhere in your story; does not need to be the exact word unless that is specified).
Hope you enjoy.
Happy Reading and Writing!