The old cardboard broke, sending dusty, cracked books tumbling on Beth’s foot. “Ow!” She tossed the box remnants to the side, hop-twirling up and down, lip bit to capture the curses that threatened to spill.
The sharp pain dulled to an ache, and she glared down at the offending object. An old photo album lay open, revealing a black and white picture of her and her father on a fishing trip long ago. Her eyes softened as she gathered the forgotten memories in her hands.
“Honey? You okay up there?” her husband, Cliff, called.
Beth climbed down from the attic, displaying her found treasure. “I think we should take Layla and visit Dad.”
Cliff pursed his lips. “Do you think he’ll know any of us?”
A soft chuckle of sadness escaped. “No…but he’s my Dad. It doesn’t matter if he knows because I will.”
Word Count: 152
This is my first attempt for Flash! Friday-Vol 2 – 1. The rules:
Now let’s get to today’s contest!
* Word limit: 150 word story (10- word leeway) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (140 – 160 words, exclusive of title) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Sunday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Wednesday, and your name inscribed on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
***Today’s Dragon’s Bidding (required element to incorporate somewhere in your story; does not need to be the exact word unless that is specified):
Head on over and check it out! The stories are all in the comments, so no extra clicking required. Make one of your own and join in (but hurry, the time expires at 11:59 Washington, D. C. time)!
Hope you enjoy.
Happy Reading and Writing!